Swimming with dolphins and viewing them in their underwater world is the adventure experience of a lifetime and one that you'll never forget!!!
Join our highly qualified staff on a dolphin swimming or viewing cruise in the sheltered calm waters of the scenic Marlborough Sounds. Help search for dusky dolphins, bottlenose dolphins, common dolphins and even rare Hector's dolphins that frequent this amazing area. Whether it's watching a group quietly cruising along or marveling at their high leaps, back-flips, somersaults and side-slaps during social bouts, dolphins are sure to please all. Our Dept. of Conservation permit allows us to seek out and interact with all species of marine mammals that live in the Sounds. During the cruise, we're likely to see NZ fur seals, a variety of seabirds (like gannets, shearwaters and penguins) and may even be fortunate enough to encounter orca as they occassionally pass through the area.
Once spotted, we’ll cruise with the dolphins and get the swimmers ready if conditions allow. As a permitted operator, we abide by the rules and regulations established for dolphin swimming and viewing activities. If conditions are good, then we’ll place swimmers in the water for the adventure of a lifetime! We are Picton's only Dolphin Swimming operator - that means we're the only boat with swimmers in the water with a group of dolphins - THAT'S IT....NO OTHER SWIMMERS.....NOBODY ELSE!!! We're also fortunate enough to operate in an area of little to no sea swell - meaning seasickness is rarely an issue for our guests. Wetsuits, fins, masks and snorkels are provided free of charge. If you're not keen on swimming with the dolphins, then join this tour for some fantastic dolphin viewing.
Swimming with Dolphins Tour Highlights
- The opportunity to interact with wild dolphins!
- A scenic cruise in the sheltered Marlborough Sounds
- Guided trips, educational, informative & Local History
- Dolphin Viewing success rate is 98%
- Dolphin Swimming success rate is 80%
- Fantastic photo opportunities
- Free tea, coffee, hot chocolate and cookies
Departs 9:00 am (October - April) Check in 8.30am
Dolphin Swim Adult $165.00 Child 10-15yrs $110 Dolphin Viewing Adult $100.00 Child $60 under 5yrs free
***Ask about our family discounts for Dolphin Viewing***
General Dolphin Swimming Tour Information:
- Dolphin Swimming Guarantee - If you aren't able to swim with dolphins, the we'll convert your fare to dolphin viewing! Success rate (all year) for viewing dolphins is currently 98%! Success rate (all year) for swimming with dolphins is currently 80%! Please keep in mind that like all dolphin swimming tours in New Zealand, there is always the rare chance that you will not be able to get in the water with wild dolphins and there is a very slim chance that you will not see any dolphins during your tour. For an update on what we've been seeing and swimming with recently, please click here.
- Wetsuits, masks, snorkels and fins are provided free of charge. You will need to bring a swimsuit, towel, camera and sunscreen. Hot deck showers are available on our larger vessel immediately after swimming to warm you up. Tea, coffee, hot chocolate and biscuits are provided free-of-charge after swimming/viewing.
- Each dolphin swimming tour lasts approximately 2-4 hours. Tour times depend on where we find the dolphins.
- Viewing dolphins in their underwater world is truly a magical experience and one not soon (if ever!) to be forgotten. Dolphins are generally very interested in swimmers, however, these are wild animals, so please be aware that it is the dolphins choice whether to interact with the swimmers and refunds can not be given if the dolphins are "not interested" for whatever reason.
- Like all swim with dolphin operators in New Zealand, this is an open water experience. The Marlborough Sounds are extremely sheltered from the wind and we rarely experience any sea swell. If sea conditions are deemed too severe, all dolphin swimming tours will be cancelled for matters of passenger safety. If dolphins are viewed, but weather is not good enough to put swimmers in the water then your fare will be converted from ‘dolphin swimming’ to ‘dolphin viewing’. Read additional terms and conditions for the dolphin swims.
- We are a Department of Conservation (DOC) permitted swim with dolphins operator. It is our years of experience (16years) operating around both dolphins and whales that provides our guests with important and relevant information during each dolphin swimming or viewing experience.